Filament and their emissions

My current focus is on reducing and removing the harmful pollutions that are emitted during the 3D printing process. After my current very bad batch of e-Sun ABS+ (which is meant to the low emission), I am moving on two vectors; reducing the VOC/PM emissions and removing any such emissions. Initial research articles for reference:

After reading the above and also experiencing the supposedly low emissions e-Sun's current ABS+ formulation effects on my skin, itchiness, small rashes, headaches, etc., I have zero desire to continue to allow this to be not controlled properly. 

To address my first concern about using lower emissions filament, I have found a few candidates, with the specific consideration for use as the parts to build the Voron printer. Ther
As potential candidates. My understanding in terms of the engineering requirements of the parts within a sealed CoreXY printer are:
  1. Ability to withstand up to 80 to 90 ÂșC of continuous operation (I doubt that the chamber could get up that high, but as a minimum specification with some margin of safety).
  2. Low susceptibility for creep or plastic deformation under load and/or high temperatures.
  3. Some ability for the material to have plastic deformation under load, but not excessive.
Based on the 3 criteria, I believe that the two considered filaments meets that criteria, but I am sure that they are not the only ones. I am very clear that the Voron Dev recommends ABS and nothing else, except for PC-ABS for the fan ducts. But hey, this is DIY and I have a few additional criteria in mind and for me, price for the filament is not an issue. Seriously, the top end filament might cost 4-5 times more than ABS, but we are talking only a hundred dollars at most, and if printed and installed correct, could last hundreds of hours and make thousands of prints. But more importantly, also protect my health. 

Comments

Popular Posts